rate of return on capital - Diane

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Thu Apr 25 12:06:49 PDT 2002

At 06:53 PM 4/23/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the "resource gap" number, but it seems
> to me
>that what we're trying to explain is why countries where there is apparently
>greater demand for investment than savings available should see their
>currencies beggared. Presumably, if moneys are flowing in from abroad, they
>must be converted to local currency in order to be invested, implying a
>greater demand for local currency than saved currency available. However,
>the currencies of such countries seem almost invariably to be out of demand,
>perpetually sinking into inflation.

The investment funds that do flow into developing countries are usually in the hard currencies so these local currencies ARE almost invariably out of demand. In fact most foreign direct investment is actually denominated in US dollars, which sheds some light on why US policy is increasingly promoting financial integration even more so than open trade policies -- the dollar dominates these capital markets.

Of course the situation in Asia is very different from the situation in Africa -- and I think we're both describing the situation in most sub-Saharan countries: inflation, "out of demand" currencies...hey, I like your term.

Best, Diane