The Enrons of the East

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Thu Apr 25 15:06:20 PDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, ChrisD(RJ) wrote:

> Coincidentally, the friend's apartment I'm currently staying at -- being
> homeless until Saturday as I am -- is located right across from the main
> Gazprom building. I get a little quasi-religious frisson every time I walk
> by that thing. "Oh holy Gazprom! O largest gas company in the world! O
> engine of the Russian economy!"

For those who've never visited Moscow: the Gazprom building is this gigantic postmodernist column-scape of sheer glass and metal torque, utterly distinctive against the skyline. You can grumble about the waste of money involved, but the thing does have undeniable charm.

Of course, that was back in '95. Any other pomo buildings in Moscow?

-- Dennis