women and world financial institutions

Vikash Yadav vikash1 at ssc.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 25 21:55:15 PDT 2002

The IMF/WB Board of Governors & Executive Board are appointed by their member countries. Board positions are not filled through recruitment and internal promotion.

As I understand it, the Governors at the IMF/WB are usually the Finance Minister/Treasury Secretary or Central Bank Governor of their member country. Executive Directors are usually drawn from a country's civil service or elite economists. In essence, these are political appointments by (the legislative/executive branch of) sovereign states. The actual staffs of the Bretton Woods institutions are not eligible for appointments or promotions into the Board of Governor or Executive Board. Thus, the gender imbalance discussed by WEDO is not really about recruiting policies in the IMF/WB so much as the appointment decisions of individual member countries. Changes in these positions must be carried out through pressure at the state level.

It would be more appropriate to look at the "officers" of the IMF/WB staff if one is interested to examine the glass-ceiling problem.

In the IMF, there are 6 women filling 33 of the officer slots. It should also be noted in all fairness that an American woman, Anne Krueger is the First Deputy Managing Director of the IMF. The influence of the Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director at these institutions is quite substantial and should not be discounted.

On the World Bank end, one of the four Managing Directors is Dr. Mamphela Ramphele of South Africa (I think). Five of the 31 key positions are occupied by women.

I agree that women should have far greater representation in these organizations at all levels, but it would be more effective if the e-mail by WEDO promoting such changes reflected a better understanding of the organizational structure of these intergovernmental institutions.

Best,

Vikash Yadav Philadelphia, PA

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Diane Monaco Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 09:43 PM To: femecon-l at bucknell.edu; iaffe-l at lists.ccs.carleton.ca; kenapocomoco at manchester.edu; genderstudiescouncil at manchester.edu; pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu; m-fem at csf.colorado.edu; lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: women and world financial institutions

Analysis of Women In World Financial Institutions