English question...

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Apr 26 06:55:16 PDT 2002

joanna bujes wrote:
> This is soooo embarrasing...
>
> Starting in the mid eighties, I started to notice that a large
> percentage of my students confused the genitive with the plural ending:
> "Her parent's went to church. The grandmothers pies were the best." etc.
>
> I could not figure out how exactly the collective American mind had
> short-circuited into this stuff, but the evidence was there before me
> every time I graded a paper.
>
> Now, I'm doing it. So, all you current/former English teachers and
> editors: is it EVER correct to specify a plural ending with an 's???
>
> I see this in technical writing ALL the time: "To broadcast a message,
> specify a list of url's for the destinations."

i am quite guilty of this stuff myself, so here's my defense: there is a bit of a difference isn't there between "her parent's went to church" and "the cisco's are down again". the former mistake (because i do not do it ;-)) is eggregious. the latter is a result of satisfying both laziness and readability. "the ciscos are down again" is a bit difficult to parse. i should write "the cisco routers are down again", but being too lazy to do that, i instead opt for adding the incorrect apostrophe in the interest of readability.

i did come across something on the net quite a few years ago that excused this usage... let me search...

--ravi