what healthcare crisis?

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Apr 26 11:09:59 PDT 2002

At 08:39 PM 04/25/2002 -0400, Doug wrote:
>Meanwhile, I just got a notice from the National Writers Union
>yesterday announcing that the union's contract with Aetna to provide
>health insurance coverage will probably be renewed, but with a
>massive premium increase that will probably be beyond the means of
>many, even most, members. If only those who are about to lose health
>coverage had known to hedge by going long AET...
It could be even worse. Because of the high rates last year and because Aetna refused to cover writers in California, some writer union members were enrolled in what turned out to be a bogus/fraudulent plan "Employees Mutual" or something like that...eventually it was found out and a number of people with critical need of medical insurances were left high and dry.

I remember reading somewhere that the HMOs and a lot of the medical insurers were constructed a bit like Ponzi schemes, they had to keep enrolling members to keep afloat. When expansion was no longer possible, then premiums would go up, and /or companies would fail. No doubt after execs walked away with all the free cash in bonuses.

I don't really know what to say about health insurance in the U.S., except that it's really hard to imagine something less efficient and more predatory. You really have to be insane to apply the market model to medical care. I mean, every morning I wake up and say to myself "What should I do today? Get a new bra? Get a triple bypass? See a that new movie?"

Joanna