The Janus Economy and other CI teasers

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Sat Apr 27 15:34:26 PDT 2002

Crunch Time

Friday 26th April 2002

For the first time since the beginning of the Fed's 1994 restraint, M3 for a four month period is unchanged so we can see that the excesses which have built up in such things as the small caps, in the mortgage market, in all manner of more speculative bonds and convertible instruments, are all at hazard of a sudden implosion

Short Dollars

Thursday 25th April 2002

It was a recession alright and, just as we now know that corporate balance sheets are significantly worse than they appear and that government at all levels is wrestling with shortfalls, it is now emerging that household budgets are also more stretched then we previously suspected.

The Janus Economy

22nd April 2002

If high consumer spending is keeping labour rates high and is diverting energy resources, building materials and whatever else to realtors and shopping malls, to gymnasia, multiplexes and therapists' couches, productive industry has a harder fight not just for the end dollar, but also for the means of producing a final product with which to compete for it.

The Cooler King

"4th April 2002

The Almighty Dollar has, over the past few years, shown a creditable tendency to escape the forces of inevitability, but each time this Cooler King of currencies guns its stolen BMW in the attempt, the ramp gets a little lower and the fence gets just a little higher.

http://www.capital-insight.com/dailyExecutive.asp