Le Pen wishes Russia "quick revival", slams USA

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sun Apr 28 07:41:42 PDT 2002

Le Pen wishes Russia "quick revival", slams USA RIA News Agency

Paris, 28 April, correspondent Leonid Kokovich: French presidential candidate and far-right National Front leader Jean-Marie Le Pen wants "quick revival of Great Russia".

"I never made a secret of my wish that Great Russia revived as quickly as possible and restored its peace-loving strength in Eastern Europe," Le Pen said in an exclusive interview with RIA on 27 April.

"The future of the world strategic balance depends on this to a big extent," Le Pen said. "At present, the only superpower, which strives for hegemony in the world affairs and international politics, is pressing it without any logic."

Being asked why NATO is seeking rapprochement with Russia, Le Pen gave a short answer: "To swallow it up".

Speaking about future relations between Russia and France, Le Pen said: "If, unfortunately, Jacques Chirac is re-elected to the post of head of the state, the Russian-French relations will remain on the same level which does not correspond to the century-old traditions of friendship between our countries".

"It will not change until power in France belongs to politicians who are pleased with polishing shoes for the Americans," he added.

Incumbent French President Jacques Chirac and Le Pen will participate in the presidential election runoff on 5 May.