US steel and antidumping data

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Tue Apr 30 11:28:39 PDT 2002

At 06:49 AM 4/28/2002 +0530, you wrote:
>TOKYO: US tariffs on European and Japanese steel imports were unfair because
>US steelmakers had for half a century lacked the innovation to compete with
>their products, European Commission President Romano Prodi said on Friday.
>
>"All the innovations in the steel industry in the post-War period were
>either European or Japanese. The Americans in this sector simply slept,"

Kevin, Ian, Charles thanks for the useful info and data links. Going through all my data reveals petitions filed by the US against Belgium, France, Italy, South Africa, Spain, Luxembourg, Netherlands, UK, Germany, Japan for exporting to the US such steel related products as steel sheets, steel plates, steel strips, steel wire, steel plate in coils -- if the imported product had the word "steel" as part of its name a petition was apparently filed. What is the likelihood that all those exporting countries would simultaneously get the idea to sell steel to the US at "less than fair value?"

I am surprised, however, that nearly all of these petitions involving steel were either terminated or resulted in a negative decision.

Diane