Danger signs for U.S. dollar

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Apr 30 14:13:11 PDT 2002

I hypothesized that if the dollar were devalued, our debt would become less expensive, but I was just stupidly translating what happens when other currencies are devalued into our own case.

Thinking about it a little more closely, since our debt IS measured in dollars, it wouldn't be affected by the devaluation per se, but it would be affected if interest rates climb in order to halt capital flight. In that case, financing the debt would become more expensive, right?

Joanna