The Clash of Fundamentalisms

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 20:23:24 PDT 2002

> > You are mistaken. Islamic fundamentalism is a child of the 1970s. It was
> > given a big boost by the Iranian revolution.
>
>Mea culpa. However, your statements are in need of some qualification.
>Radical Islamic governments are a recent phenomenon. I doubt the religious
>fundamentalism that supports them could arise in the span of a single
>decade. Argument from analogy: although the Religious Right wasn't a
>visible electoral force until quite recently, Christian fundamentalism of
>one sort (from Puritanism to evangelism ) or another has been present in
>the
>US for some time.

But it did arise in a decade or two. ANd there are precedents, such as the US "Great Awakening" that first created the basis for fundamentalism in the US in the 1790s. Of cpurse there was a lot of religious Islam, but it wasn't a radical political force until the 1970s--and not just not a state force either, but not a popular force either.

jks