Kagarlitsky on Le Pen

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Tue Apr 30 23:55:53 PDT 2002

Against this background, the gloating comments of Russian politicians and journalists were especially notable. After a few ritual remarks to the effect that racism and fascism are of course bad, they joined in declaring that the whole problem was that the French had been too tolerant of "blacks". Western Europe had indulged its idiotic ideas of cultural pluralism and human rights, the wise political commentators explained to us, but French voters were no longer putting up with these outrages. By way of conclusion, the commentators explained to us that the extremist Le Pen could not of course be allowed to win power, but that his program was correct and needed to be implemented. Then when thousands of anti-fascist demonstrators took to the streets of France, the Russian press became even more indignant. The protesters were described as extremists, loafers, and instigators of disorder. ----------------- For the life of me I can't figure out what journalists, politicians and commentators Kagarlitsky is refering to. I haven't come across anything like this, unless he's talking about the ultra-brown nationalist press like Zavtra or Patriot. Certainly nothing in the mainstream, which is the impression you get from reading this passage.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal