beauty

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Aug 1 06:59:38 PDT 2002

Daniel Davies wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:45:15 -0700
> From: "Luke Weiger"
> Subject: Re: beauty
>
> >> But isn't beauty a function of class anyway?
>
> >Of evolution.
>
> Don't be silly.

The simple response probably to such silliness is that beauty isn't a trait, & only traits are inheritable. What we call beauty would be a more or less random assemblage of traits evolved quite independently of their relation ship to "beauty."

This is relevant to the thread on "experts." Free-floating intellectuals tend to set themselves up as "experts" in every domain; a blithe ignoring of actual expertise can lead, as dd says, to mere silliness.

Carrol

I'm absolutely agog to hear what kind of Just So Story you