beauty

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Aug 1 10:29:27 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Davies" <dsquared at al-islam.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 4:26 AM Subject: Re:beauty

> Don't be silly. I'm absolutely agog to hear what kind of Just So Story you
> and the rest of the Dawkinsite gang are going to tell to explain how, to
> take a random example, standards of beauty take such radically
> different approaches to the question of underarm hair on adult women.

Or breast size. The attractiveness of a number of physical traits clearly varies from culture to culture. It now also seems clear, in light of a fair amount of research, that there are also many physical traits judged by standards bridging all known cultural divides. The latter set seems to have more predictive power: one may show pictures of Japanese women to American men who will rank their attractiveness in an order mirroring that of Japanese men.

-- Luke