beauty

José Rodríguez & Sally Everson pepor at caribe.net
Fri Aug 2 09:24:02 PDT 2002

I think I was the one who posted that "isn't beauty a function of class anyway" -- and I wasn't trying to be reductionist -- I was referring to the article abstract that Doug (?) posted where there was a large scale study done. In that case -- which I only read the abstract -- it seems they were measuring "physical attractiveness" or something like that, which I think would amount to fashion and standards that would be associated with a person's social standing, access to material goods, knowledge about makeup or dressing or ways to look more attractive, etc. And I was thinking of the question in terms of my own, my family and friends experiences and what role physical attractiveness has played in our lives (as Americans). Now my idea of beauty is (I hope) less based on fashion and material wealth, but that kind of study cited didn't sound like it was interested in subjective conceptions of beauty. Living in a somewhat different culture than the one I was raised in, makes me very aware of how different standards of physical attractiveness exist -- and acutely aware of how color or race plays into this as well. Here in Puerto Rico attractiveness is usually a synonym for 'whiteness' or 'europeanness' versus 'black' or 'africanness', which is a little different than in the states where one is either/or and then the different standards are then applied, which I understand in the black community also tend to value lighter skin and eyes, etc. as here. I do believe though that there are certain ideal physical characteristics for each sex across cultures -- such as the more abstract features such as "symmetry" which I rememeber coming across. So then if one had such good traits I think it would help one move up in class if one wanted to and were able to -- and even put force on a person to do so - or the reverse for those who have bad traits. But most people would be born with average genes -- so then would depend on enhancement to bring up their attractiveness and make them more marketable, which is where I was thinking the class issue comes in. I am not a leftist intellectual, an economist, a sociologist or part of the "Dawkinsite gang" -- whatever that is. Just a student of Caribbean literature, who for some reason likes to read this list now and then. I just thought I'd state what seems like the obvious in regard to that study -- though in my personal circles it is something rarely acknowledged. Beauty might be in the eye of the beholder but if culture is the focusing lens, how could it ever be simply biological?

Sally Everson

-----Original Message----- From: Gordon Fitch <gcf at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Thursday, August 01, 2002 9:27 PM Subject: Re: beauty