Ellen Meiksins Wood

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Sat Aug 3 16:32:19 PDT 2002

In a message dated 08/03/2002 5:39:48 PM Central Daylight Time, joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com writes:

> I became aquainted with Wood's writing and thought by reading through an
> interview and an article in some old Monthly Reviews. I then went out to
> look for some/all of her books and I've been having a lot of trouble
> locating them. Apparently some are even out of print.
>
> I live in Oakland (CA) very near to Berkeley and therefore close to all
> kinds of university/leftist bookstores,....but no luck (oh, and Doug, I
> can't find Radical Society anywhere.)
>
> Can you guys recommend how I might go about getting Prof. Wood's books? I
> like what I've seeen of her thinking, writing, and scholarship and would
> like to see more.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joanna

I just got a copy of _The Origin of Capitalism: A Longer View_ at the University Bookstore in Madison. It's out this year in a new paperback edition from Verso (the old edition was MR Press), and should be readily available. Look her up on Amazon.

I haven't started reading _The Origin_ yet, but am eager to begin. I've lost touch with the whole debate over the origins and development of capitalism since grad school (too many) years ago, when I read Maurice Dobb. I like what I've read of E. M. Wood so far in MR and elsewhere, and would also like to see more.

Jacob Conrad

P.S. Sorry about that last empty post. Clicked "Send" by mistake.