Ellen Meiksins Wood

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Sat Aug 3 20:18:42 PDT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 at 7:52pm Kelley wrote:

> I think Powell's bookstore in Washington is indie, right?

Powell's is in Porland OR, but all those rainy states up there look alike to me :)

They are fairly recently unionized as well:

<http://www.powellsunion.com/>

"ILWU Local 5 currently represents more than 420 workers at Powell's Books in Portland, OR--the largest independent new and used bookstore in the country. After two years of organizing, we ratified our first contract on August 14th, 2000. Now we have begun to build a strong local-- the first new local in the ILWU in 35 years."

-- no Onan

Undefeated, everybody goes home