Ellen Meiksins Wood

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Sun Aug 4 08:14:46 PDT 2002

In a message dated 08/04/2002 12:54:26 AM Central Daylight Time, mpollak at panix.com writes:

> > Powell's is in Porland OR, but all those rainy states up there look
> > alike to me :)
> >
> > They are fairly recently unionized as well:
> >
> > <http://www.powellsunion.com/>
>
> Also if you buy your book through the union website using that link, 10%
> of the price goes to Powell's employees. It was part of their settlement:
>
> <quote>
>
> Through our partnership program with powells.com, when you connect to
> powells.com through this site, 10% of everything you buy goes directly to
> Powell's employees. <etc.>

I shall henceforth buy all of my books from Powells (or Tattered Cover), hell with Amazon. I really want to get a copy of _The Pristine Culture of Capitalism: A Historical Essay on Old Regimes and Modern States_, which only seems available by special order. Reading _The Origin of Capitalism: A Longer View_ (the 2002 Verso edition), she keeps citing _The Pristine Culture_ in the endnotes. Any comments on _The Pristine Culture of Capitalism_ from those who have read it?

Jacob Conrad