Intellectuals vs. activism

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Aug 4 21:13:33 PDT 2002

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Nathan Newman wrote:

> article. I'm a big fan of Russell Jacoby's thesis in THE LAST INTELLECTUALS
> that the opening of the universities to the Left was a largely bad thing, in
> that it took them off the street into the cloisters.

Academics are wage-workers like anyone else nowadays, though a few lucky stiffs may have tenure, somewhere. Overwork and course loads are what drive academics into sullen submission, not high salaries and stock options.

> criticize activist leadership. they question "dualities", but they rarely
> lay out step-by-step programs for activists to evaluate.

The Left needs more than just campaign cookbooks, valuable as they are. There's a certain theory geared towards short-term goals, another towards the medium-term, still another towards the very long term.

-- Dennis