Intellectuals vs. activism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Aug 5 14:18:31 PDT 2002

At 01:35 PM 8/5/2002 -0700, Chuck wrote:

>I am of the opinion that what's needed is at least an institutionally
>supported edge or wedge of some kind. A city, county, state, or fed
>program loosely attached to some larger and more established entity in
>order to get off the ground.

I fully agree. It is not a coincidence that when the Gingrichitis tried to "defund the left" in its contract on America - they tried (but failed) to pass the Ishtook amendment that would restrict federal funding to all 501 c3 nonprofits that perform any advocacy function. Clearly, the Repugs must have felt threatened by these organizations, which is a sure sign that these institiutions must be doing something right.

wojtek