Fast Track Passage

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Aug 5 14:34:18 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> -And Gore forbade his supporters from demonstrating in the streets - -or countering in any way the Reps' "bourgeois riot" (in Paul Gigot's -memorable phrase). He chose to litigate, and lost. Truly a -pud-puller, that Al.

Yes-- and I was so sure of his poor quality as a candidate that I bet money against him, when you were expecting him to win based on "objective" economic criteria. And Nader is a wonderful activist of great personal qualities.

So what? Is this a high school prom king contest? The issue is not and never was who was the better candidate but what political strategies should progressivs choose in order to maximize the well being of the society in which they live.

One reason I like Marx is that when I read his concrete discussions of politics -- such as on Lincoln and the Civil War -- he doesn't engage in idealistic discussions of the possibilities he wished he had to fight over, but sees a clear fight over slavery worth fighting, whatever the capitalist interests involved. Strategy is taking the tactical choices available, maximizing the results, and organizing over the long-term to change the tactical possibilities available over time.

But heck-- let's just say I vote for Nader for prom king. He's a heck of a guy.

-- Nathan Newman