Anti-Capitalism Reader

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Mon Aug 5 18:25:51 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> <http://www.akashicbooks.com/acr.html>
>
> The Anti-Capitalism Reader: Anti-Market Politics in Theory and
> Practice, Past, Present and Future
> edited by Joel Schalit
>
> Nonfiction/Paperback
> 325 pages
> $16.95
> ISBN 1-888451-33-5
> Forthcoming September 2002
>
> The collapse of Enron and WorldCom and the increasing evidence of
> corruption at the highest levels of corporate life has opened the
> door to a remarkable whirlwind of dialogue about the prevailing
> economic ideology of the post-Cold War era. While traditionally the
> province of the left, concerns about the legitimacy of market-driven
> societies are now being voiced by centrists and conservatives, who
> fear that their livelihoods and their investments are suddenly at the
> mercy of forces spinning out of control.
>
> Enter The Anti-Capitalism Reader, a refreshingly non-doctrinaire
> anthology of writings and interviews covering much of the
> intellectual geography of the new anti-market left that has become
> increasingly visible since anti-capitalist protests rocked the World
> Trade Organization's 1999 meeting in Seattle.
>
> Featuring essays by Doug Henwood, Naomi Klein, Ali Abunimah, Annalee
> Newitz, Paul Thomas, Ultra red, and the Bad Subjects collective --
> and interviews with Slavoj Zizek, Toni Negri, Thomas Frank, and Wendy
> Brown -- The Anti-Capitalism Reader moves from culture to politics,
> gender, and alternative economic systems. Each contributor presents
> acessible, hard-hitting (and sometimes humorous) critical insights
> that make this volume an ideal partner in contemporary discourse
> about globalization, war, and economic decline.
>
> Editor Joel Schalit is the author of Jerusalem Calling and editor of
> both Punk Planet magazine and webzine Bad Subjects: Political
> Education for Everyday Life. He is a regular contributor to the SF
> Bay Guardian.

No offense, Doug, but this a pretty mainstream selection of anti-globalization writers.

Is this going to be another boring academic tome? How about some writings from radical anti-capitalists who also do activism?

I'm so frustrated with the sorry state of books on the anti-globalization movement that I'm thinking about writing one myself.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)