can Ralph Nader save capitalism? ( was Re: Fast Track Passage)

Eric Beck rayrena at realtime.net
Tue Aug 6 14:03:19 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

>But you were being ironic about the barricades, right?

Yes, I was. Maybe my face was a little too straight. Judging from the article this comes from, "adaptable capitalism" is capital circa 1967 or 1934 or 1871, or some other time in Ralph's fantasy world, in which competition was free, the playing field was level, the government didn't favor certain businesses over others, owners (investors) controlled what they owned, and something called "consenual freedom of contract" reigned. I'm no historian of capitalism, but this separation of corporation and state never really existed, did it?

Eric