unions

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Tue Aug 6 16:42:07 PDT 2002

>can't speak for "him", but perhaps he means that the overwhelming
>majority of workers in america; 1) do not belong to unions, and 2) have
>a less than positive view of unions and do not identify with them, or
>they might belong to them...

How do you know that #2 is correct? Someone else on the list just posited the reverse. But the real question is not whether or not workers want to belong to unions, but whether they want to better their economic conditions, feed their families and survive. To this question, I think the answer is yes.

>the reasons for this are numerous, but hardly because workers "dislike
>themselves", but more because they don't see "themselves" as
>represented by unions, any more than they see "themselves" as
>represented by the ruling corporate parties...

The "dislike themselves" part was facetious, a tongue-in-cheek attempt to contextualize what Chuck was writing.

>this is not to say that being in a union isn't better than not being in
>a union, only that under present conditions, that tends to be a lesser
>evil - like choosing between those parties - and not a real solution to
>major political economic problems.

Who's saying that unions, in and of themselves are the "real solution to major political economic problems"? I don't think anyone's said that, yet. I suppose one could say that it's "a lesser evil" if workers struggle in whatever way they can to feed their families, if they also weren't working collectively to gain political power. But, even that's pushing it....

-- David