Intellectuals vs. activism / labor theory of value

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Aug 6 17:43:42 PDT 2002

> >Note that Marx's argument, which rests on the principle of value creation
> >- he who creates value should own and control it; workers are sole
> >creators of value under capitalism, ergo: workers should own and control
> >all output of capitalist production -

Justin Schwartz:
> I have written another paper explaining why this is a misunderstanding of
> Marx: What's Wrong with Exploitation, Nous 1995.

I was recently involved in a discussion of the labor theory of value in which one of my interlocutors asserted that it was used in a purely normative manner, i.e. as above, the wokers _ought_ to _own_ the means of production because it is created by their labor. This seems like a very Lockean argument to me, what with the oughtings and the ownings, and I'm surprised to see it in the work of the father of Communism, even with a big C. What does a Communist care about such bourgeois values and relations? I had had the idea that the exploitation of labor's power to create value led (theoretically) to the crisis of overproduction. But I'm no scholar of Marx, and I would mildly appreciate the efforts of anyone who wanted to go to the trouble to set me straight on this matter.