Gore did it to himself

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Aug 6 20:38:20 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "W. Kiernan" <wkiernan at concentric.net>

Nathan Newman wrote:
> So-- point out the issue where Eisenhower Republicans (not a
> particular one, but the party as a whole) are better than today's
> Dems, or even an issue where the Senate Democrats of the 1950s
> were more liberal than Daschle's Democrats?

-Was anyone talking about privatizing Social Security in 1955?

First, no group in the Dems are supporting privatization of Social Security, even the DLC. Moynihan is pretty much on his own with a couple of allies, but no serious constituency among elected Democrats. As for the 1950s, Eisenhower wasn't promoting such privatization but there were still significant parts of the GOP lookng to repeal chunks of the New Deal, including social security.

As for today, check out this article on the continuing leftward tilt of the California legislature-- which has been pumping out loads of progressive bills, some of which have been passed into law despite Davis's vetos. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/728754/posts

Here you have left-liberals organizing to expand the progressive set of legislators-- actual elections in primaries that will lead to actual votes to win actual legislation. A radical idea, I know, for third party advocates, but far more useful.

-- Nathan Newman