nader

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Aug 6 21:45:19 PDT 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 JCWisc at aol.com wrote:

> And speaking of the Greens, what's with all these third parties? There's the
> Green Party, also the New Party and the Labor Party, and in New York state,
> the Working Families Party...

The US political system is fundamentally hostile to second parties. The first-past-the-post system, which only the UK continues to use, ensures that you get monopolies -- the 51% rule, the 49% get turned off from politics, etc. We need a parliamentary system run by proportional representation, where a vote for a small party equals a seat in a legislature. Instead, we have an 18th century theocracy of finance capital, which swears fealty to a mysterious, all-knowing, omniscient Constitution, into whose text every issue of import is somehow to be allegorically read.

-- Dennis