ADB to Afghanistan's rescue

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 7 03:54:48 PDT 2002

>washingtonpost.com
>
>Projects to Rebuild Afghan Roads Going Nowhere, Despite Promises
>
>By Susan B. Glasser
>Washington Post Foreign Service
>Wednesday, August 7, 2002; Page A01
>
>KABUL, Afghanistan -- For months, the Asian Development Bank had
>promised that it would take on one of the biggest headaches in
>postwar Afghanistan: the cratered, agonizingly slow highway
>connecting Kabul with Kandahar. The project to rehabilitate the
>major artery between the country's two largest cities was estimated
>to cost $150 million, the largest single investment in Afghanistan's
>infrastructure since the collapse of Taliban rule last November.
>
>Instead, the deal fell apart.
>
>In meetings last month, the bank demanded that the Afghan government
>accept loans to finance the project. Frustrated with international
>donors that have promised to help rebuild the country, only to
>impose conditions the fledgling government cannot meet, the Afghans
>said no. "They're pulling out," said a top aide to President Hamid
>Karzai. "Their excuse is that we won't accept loans, but in reality
>it is too big a project for them."
>
>The Kabul-Kandahar project is not the only road work stalled by the
>combination of balky donors, the slow pace of bureaucracy and the
>daunting logistics of accomplishing anything in a barely functioning
>country. In fact, not a single major road project has been started
>since the fall of the Taliban.
>
><http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A52452-2002Aug6?language=printer>http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A52452-2002Aug6?language=printer

What's up with today's imperialists? Can't even lay a single road? -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020807/1a334dec/attachment.htm>