Gore did it to himself

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Aug 7 19:47:55 PDT 2002

Of course Clinton discussed individual accounts. He proposed a version called the USA accounts as a supplement to social security, a very progressive plan as I noted. I wish it had been enacted into law. The key sentences in the article Doug posted:

>"The administration really took seriously all the options, including
>individual accounts," Liebman said yesterday. He said administration
>officials presented Clinton with four options for revamping Social
>Security, but the White House was not moving toward diverting some
>payroll taxes to private accounts, as many Bush officials prefer.

Note the "not moving toward diverting some payroll taxes"-- so what you got here is some low level policy aides drawing up options. Again, the DLC gets white papers and EPI gets the official Democratic leadership policy.

-- Nathan Newman