crappy meat

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Thu Aug 8 11:07:53 PDT 2002

At 09:30 AM 8/8/02 -0700, Daniel Davies wrote:
> Kelley wrote:
>
> >>knock. knock. anybody home? the first paragraph noted that the US press
>has
>glossed over all this. I doubt USers even know about it. <<
>
>Good point but I dunno ... although the specific details are always a bit
>of a shock, I get the feeling that most people, if you asked them, would
>say that they are aware that there is something fundamentally, seriously
>wrong with battery farmed chicken (from a gastronomic and/or gastric point
>of view rather than the ethical). UKians very certainly know this because
>it was absolutely *huge* scandal about twelve years ago, but we don't seem
>to care either.

Nope. I'm on a few lists related to weight lifting and a couple related to dietary changes I've had to make because of food intolerances. Even among people who are very health conscious and seem quite literate, there seems a clear lack of understanding about food, nutrition, health, etc.

People basically don't know much wrt what we here often take for granted. They don't even THINK about how chickens are raised, let alone all the chicken shit hanging off the honeydew melons since they use chicken shit for fertilizer in Brazil where they grow them.

Really, people think eating a Nutri grain bar is healthy. They think eating margarine is better than butter. Ten years ago "they" said it was. Not true anymore. People think saccharin is horrible for you. Now it turns out that aspartame is and most people, even my own very healthy nurse of a mother didn't know. Diebetics are constantly put on low fat diets to reduce their BS numbers when, in fact, a low sugar, low carbohydrate diet stabilizes their blood sugar. The freaking doctors don't know!

People don't read enough to know about any of this stuff. It's amazing to me sometimes, but there it is: people are busy, people are apathetic, people are disgusted by the fact that the medical and health industries are constantly changing their minds. There was a recent report on an essential fatty acid that is lacking because of the way we feed dairy cows and, as a result, we aren't getting enough of it and it may contribute to the obesity epidemic.