Panic and Altruism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Aug 8 12:15:02 PDT 2002

At 10:47 AM 8/8/2002 -0700, kevin wrote:

>In Disasters, Panic Is Rare; Altruism Dominates
>
>WASHINGTON, DC--Group panic and irrational behavior
>did not occur at the World Trade Center on September
>11, 2001. Instead the event created a sense of
>"we-ness" among those threatened, says Rutgers
>University sociology professor Lee Clarke. In his

Lee "Chip" Clarke was my professor at Rutgers. His main area is organizational behavior, and his interest - deconstructing official myths pertaining to that behavior. His book _Mission Improbable: Using Fantasy Documents to Tame Disasters_ is a fine study of managerial deception disguised as risk management. An example of good critical sociology in the tradition of C. Wright Mills - strong on analysis, low pomo-babble contents, high ideas / verbiage ratio.

wojtek