TIPs and Salsa

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Fri Aug 9 07:13:42 PDT 2002

Presenting a cool face to the country, Uribe outlined his plans for a million-member civilian intelligence network that has been among the most controversial of his security proposals. He introduced the first 600 volunteers of the Civilian Informant Network in Cesar, a northeastern province that has been plagued by guerrilla kidnappings.

Uribe said the volunteers would not be armed, at least not to start.

As governor of Colombia's largest province in the mid-1990s, Uribe embraced a similar program that put civilians to work as government informants. But several of those groups began working with paramilitary forces, helping the group drive out guerrillas by attacking their suspected civilian support.

Aware of those concerns, Uribe placed the new network under control of Luis Carlos Restrepo, a psychiatrist by training who is serving as Uribe's peace commissioner, rather than under the military. The volunteers, however, will receive at least some military training.

"Let's not make this too complicated. We must go forward," Uribe said. "Here we have a huge risk to 40 million Colombians. If we all work together, we will get rid of that risk."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61661-2002Aug8.html