book querry

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 07:48:59 PDT 2002

>Dear list:
>
>I have to teach a course on Law and social policy. Does anyone have ideas
>on a reader, a set of debates on major social policies, or any other book
>such for such a course. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
>thanks.
>
>Jacob Segal

What social policies? Like abortion, affirmative action, vouchers? And by "law" do you mean court cases? I've been out of the biz too long to know what is current, but I know there are a half dozen or more philosophy books onmoral problems that use court cases. Or, if you want to just teach the cases, tell me the social policies, and I'll tell you the cases. You can make a coursepack. Natch, without legal treaining, you'll make a hash of the law--I know I did when used to do that stuff--but it can't be helped. If you teach at or near or place with a law school you might snag a friendly law prof who could help a bit. jks