unions

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 9 13:15:05 PDT 2002

>In a message dated 8/7/02 12:32:28 AM, owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com
>writes:
>
>>Let's face it, American labor is comfortable
>>with its arrangement with capital. This is because it understands that
>>its standard of living depends on U.S. workers exploiting the workers in the
>>Global South.
>
>Someone care to address that? It's sort of a first principle for a lot of
>anti-globalization folks that regular U.S. workers are enjoying the bounties
>of imperialism. How much is this really true if you count the military
>costs, and examine the glorious 'standard of living' of the bottom 70 percent
>or so, which would include nearly every union household? And yes, I have
>spent time in countries the U.S. & IMF beat up on.
>
>Jenny Brown

Compare the living standards of workers in the USA and those in Western Europe and Japan. Taking social welfare and work hours into account -- work hours in the USA are the longest among the richest industrialized nations (Cf. <http://www.igc.org/igc/ln/hl/99090819310/hl1.html>; <http://us.ilo.org/news/focus/0110/FOCUS-6.HTML>; <http://www.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/trends/08/30/ilo.study/>) -- I conclude it is better to lose an empire than work hard to maintain one. -- Yoshie