unions

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Aug 9 13:55:03 PDT 2002

Chuck Munson:
>> Let's face it, American labor is comfortable with its arrangement
>> with capital. This is because it understands that its standard of
>> living depends on U.S. workers exploiting the workers in the Global
>> South.

Jenny Brown:
> Someone care to address that? It's sort of a first principle for a lot
of
> anti-globalization folks that regular U.S. workers are enjoying the
> bounties of imperialism. How much is this really true if you count
> the military costs, and examine the glorious 'standard of living' of
the
> bottom 70 percent or so, which would include nearly every union
> household? And yes, I have spent time in countries the U.S. & IMF
> beat up on.

Excellent question. So, how would that be measured? Can it be?

And how precisely are "U.S. workers exploiting the workers in the Global South"? They don't run sweetshops and aren't in control of the companies that due. What wealth companies due bleed from the Global South isn't at the command of workers.

It sounds like collective guilt.

-- Shane