8 a day, no way?

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sat Aug 10 06:18:12 PDT 2002

> ps. has anyone tried spinning yet? it looks fucking totally cool, but the
> group action really looks like it'd seriously annoy me. Kelley

Chuck Grimes:
> Well, I do the sloppy version at home with a bike stand. It has
> interesting results, which are a little amazing. It actually helps
> uphill cadence, even with little resistance on the stand. I use my old
> ten speed, (front 53-49, rear 23-13). What amazes me, is it only takes a
> few sessions before the longer term effects show up. In other words,
> you don't have to kill yourself to get benefit right away.

I was amused that I had to look up _spinning_. I don't read the newspapers or watch television so I'm fairly disconnected culturally. In the case of _spinning_ I would think first of making yarn at home, or maybe Sufi practices. But clearly something else was at hand, so of course I asked Google, which let me know that there's a www.spinning.com. This web site tells me that "Spin(r), Spinner(r); and Spinning(r); are registered trademarks of Mad Dogg Athletics, Inc." A mad dogg with savvy lawyers. I think snapping up an English verb like that, along with its derivatives (but not the past participle!) was pretty cute. I wonder if I could get one? But I digress. I'm curious to know whether this is some kind of Organized Thing on television, or something like that, that I should know about. I ride a bicycle constantly, but for transportation, and I like to be aware of new mass public behavior in advance, since it often involves odd, unexpected phenomena in my vicinity which I might wish to avoid or account for.

-- Gordon