Bad Subjects on Chomsky

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Aug 12 11:50:50 PDT 2002

``...Maybe people who feel an urgent need for further rituals could be more specific about what it is they desire, so that others could have the opportunity of enacting them correctly. But I am not hopeful. We are supposed to _just_know_...'' Gordon Fitch

Well, yes, but. Chomsky has always been limited. I wouldn't expect him to come up with anything but the usual suspects for the WTC and Pentagon attacks. He has a kind of mantra on free speech and democracy and it suits a lot of current events, but not this one or its aftermath. Nader also has his mantra and it doesn't particular fit well either. So it seems I am not sure what, un-American, to pick away at either one.

And somehow, I wasn't particularly convinced of Joe Lockard's concern for the victims either. So that seems a little off. I am wasn't either, but then I didn't know any of the people. What bothers me in all of the so-called mass sympathy bullshit, is nobody seemed to be going after the US government's absolutely atrocious reaction---give a charity concert to the victims and cash bail outs for the corporate suffering. Nice. Sort of says it all in a nutshell.

I got Joe's general take, pretty quickly and was expecting some kind of alternative view to contrast Chomsky, but there wasn't one. Of course the missing link is Israel and neither Chomsky I take it, nor Lockard are exactly going after that boogie. And yet, the US despicable affirmation of Sharon and identification with the Israeli rightwing seems to be the bottom line of US foreign policy.

Chuck Grimes