first anti-capitalist

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 12 20:43:18 PDT 2002

Ian Murray wrote:

> Just how would we know when we "arrived" at a static society?
>
> Ian

"We" wouldn't know -- because we'll be dead by then. They won't have to know: they will have better things to do perhaps.

But also note: An old-fashioned logical positivist analysis could be given to the pairs "dynamic/chaotic" and "static/stable." The contrasting terms name the same state of affairs from contrasting perspectives. If you like it, it's dynamic; if it's destroying you, it's chaotic. If you are in misery, it's static. If you are pleasantly engaged, it's stable.

I would say that on the whole capitalism is, for most of the earth's peoples of the last few centuries, more chaotic than dynamic. We need rest.

Carrol