"post-Leftism"

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Tue Aug 13 12:55:52 PDT 2002

>Post-leftism isn't really an ideology inasmuch as it is an ongoing
>dialogue among anarchists and anti-authoritarian Marxists about which
>directions our politics should take in this post-Left era (post Soviet
>Union). It's also an ongoing effort to educate anarchists that there are
>some fundamental differences between anarchism and authoritarian varieties
>of Leftism. Another facet is looking at ways that anarchists can practice
>their politics without having their nose up the asses of whatever
>organized left group (i.e. the IAC) walks down the street. Finally, it is
>a recognition of the fact that the Left as we know it is dying out around
>the world. You can see that in the U.S. where anarchism is growing and
>leftist sects are stagnating and dying out. You can see this in places
>like Italy, where many people are rejecting the state capitalist-friendly
>trade unions and communist parties.
>
><< Chuck0 >>

The assumption here seems to be that anarchism is on the rise because "leftism" is dying. But, actually, anarchist thought-- however distorted from its original form-- is on the rise due to the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union, i.e. the collapse of the "deformed workers' states". This led to a hole in whatever little of the left still existed. But, the author seems to be conflating "Leftism" in general with "leftist sects," the latter apparently referring to Stalinists and all the rest. Notice, again, the tacit agreement between anarchists and the "sects" they decry: Both anarchists and Stalinists seem to agree that "leftism" is most clearly expressed within dogmatic "leftist sects." It seems like two sides of the same coin to me.

-- David