Beyster's Billions or Financial motives behind anthrax attacks?

Charles Jannuzi b_rieux at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 06:17:44 PDT 2002

This is some info. (all from its website) about the company that fired Steve Hatfill for flunking his lie detector test. This company has 40,000 employees and claims over 2 billion dollars in earnings on 6 billion in revenue. I just wish I could understand what in the fuck the company actually does. It makes GE look overly specialized. It looks like another CIA/NSA/ex-DoD fucks attempt at forming a shell company for the new new new economy--but of course one that is well placed to parasitize billions in old, old, old federal gov't spending. I can see flat out financial motive for Hatfill to pull the anthrax stunt (which is what I said earlier on this list--that financial motive could be at the bottom of it all). One of this company's federal money parasite services would be to monitor the borders for transport of weapons of mass destruction, and as an employee, Hatfill owned their stock. And sure enough the company has some big buck contracts in this area and even brags about it on their site.

Scientific Applications International Corporation (SAIC)

http://www.saic.com/about/overview.html

Company Overview

Founded by Dr. J.R. Beyster and a small group of scientists in 1969, SAIC, a Fortune 500 company, now ranks as the largest employee-owned research and engineering firm in the nation. SAIC and its subsidiaries have more than 40,000 employees with offices in over 150 cities worldwide.

SAIC is a key source for leading-edge technologies that will carry our clients into the 21st century and beyond. We help clients respond faster to opportunities, achieve more from their operations, exceed their mission requirements, and meet the competition head-on. See our industry rankings.

Our information systems and technology solutions are helping speed and improve service delivery and giving decision makers better information to make decisions. Our next generation networks are helping clients create new markets in converged voice, video, and data services. Our e-business solutions are creating unprecedented collaboration and efficiency throughout complex value chains. Our wireless solutions are opening up new communications with remote areas faster and better than ever before. SAIC is also a portal to advanced technologies. We provide access to the latest technologies developed by a host of organizations worldwide, including our own world-class research organizations. We bring more than three decades of experience making new technologies succeed in real-world, real-time business. For more details see our Products & Services.

Recent Financial Information For the Fiscal Year ended January 31, 2002 (Fiscal 2002), SAIC achieved revenues of $6.1 billion, reflecting a growth rate of 3 percent over the previous year's revenues of $5.9 billion.

This represents the 33rd year of continued revenue and earnings growth, solidifying SAIC's position as one of the most successful employee-owned companies in the United States.

The current SAIC stock price is $28.90 per share for SAIC Class A Common Stock, effective July 29, 2002. This represents a 12.5% decline from the price of $33.03 established on July 12, 2002, and a 7.9% decline from the price of $31.37 established one-year ago in July of 2001.

SAIC files regular financial and disclosure documents with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Access SAIC's filings on the SEC's EDGAR database.

View our recent financial press releases. 06-17-02 SAIC Announces Revenue and Earnings for the First Quarter 04-08-02 SAIC Announces Financial Results for Fiscal Year 2002 and Record Revenues for the 33rd Consecutive Year 12-17-01 SAIC Announces Third Quarter Revenue and Earnings 09-24-01 SAIC Revenue and Earnings Increase in Second Quarter

Growth of the company FY2001 Revenue: $5.9 billion Employees: 41,000 Net Income: $2.1 billion Earnings per Share: $8.11 Revenues for the Fiscal Year ended January 31, 2001 (Fiscal 2001) were $5.9 billion, reflecting growth over the prior year of 7 percent. As a result of the company's growth, SAIC now ranks #296 on the FORTUNE(R) 500 list of the largest U.S. companies. Our strong growth also has made us Business Week's #1 Private Info-Tech Company for the second year in a row and INPUT Government Services' #1 for federal IT security market share.

New commercial business during the first three quarters of the fiscal year included a major agreement with BP, one of the world's largest oil companies. Under the agreement, an SAIC-led team will support BP's North American application and host services.

During the fiscal year, BellSouth selected our Telcordia Technologies subsidiary as its preferred strategic partner for supplying operation support systems infrastructure. Telcordia also provided key software for Sprint's converged voice, video, and data communications network and CTC Communications' converged network.

Numerous large federal government contracts also were awarded to SAIC during fiscal year 2001.

The SAIC and Bechtel National team won a $3.1 billion contract to support the Department of Energy's civilian radioactive waste management program at Yucca Mountain in Nevada. A team led by SAIC was selected as an awardee of a Defense Information Systems Agency contract to provide information assurance capabilities support worldwide for the Department of Defense and other federal agencies. The total ceiling value of the contract is $1.5 billion. An SAIC team won an Army Aviation and Missile Command contract to provide advisory and assistance services and support battlefield system readiness under a contract with potential value of $1.25 billion over five years. An SAIC team was selected to perform systems engineering and integration tasks under a $496 million, five-year contract from the Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center. SAIC won a $200 million fixed-price contract to provide support to the Defense Logistics Agency. SAIC and its teammates won the Treasury Information Processing Support Services-2 contract, valued at up to $225 million, to provide information systems support to the Department of Treasury and all of its bureaus and services.

Looking to the future, our new, wholly owned subsidiary SAIC Venture Capital Corporation has been identifying and investing in emerging technologies strategic to our continued growth.

<< Back --- Continue >>

History & Timeline

The setting for SAIC's startup in 1969 was not much different than that of many companies that begin with a few dollars and a good idea. Small, austere offices with rented desks and typewriters that have seen better days. People furiously working days, nights and weekends, hoping to curb the anxiety over the future. For SAIC, it began in offices with a tremendous ocean view (rented for $2.40 per square foot per year) in the sleepy village of La Jolla, California. "We had the added advantage of having as our next-door neighbor, a ballet studio," recalls founder and CEO Dr. J. Robert Beyster. "On the balcony in front of us, just to keep things light-hearted, the ballerinas would dance by as we did our research."

Beyster admits he had no grandiose plan when he started Science Applications Incorporated (later changed to SAIC) on February 3, 1969, with a couple of consulting contracts, one from Los Alamos and one from Brookhaven National Labs. "It was just supposed to be a good place where I could work and maybe a few people could join me," he says.

While working as a physicist at Los Alamos National Laboratory in the 1950's, Beyster saw many co-workers leave to start companies, but Beyster found entrepreneurship "somewhat distasteful." "I thought they should be working on scientific projects," says Beyster, "why are they worried about starting these crazy little companies?"

Indeed, Beyster was interested in applied physics, and while at Los Alamos, he performed experiments and co-authored papers with Nobel Laureate Hans Bethe. In 1957, Beyster was hired by General Atomics in San Diego to establish and manage a $5 million, Traveling Wave Linear Accelerator facility. At G.A., Beyster interviewed and hired Dr. Larry Kull.

"At that time we were both physicists, but he was also a manager," recalls Kull. "He came up and interviewed me at Michigan State and we crawled all over a new machine (a cyclotron) that we'd built up there. He was definitely a hands-on working scientist."

For a while, Beyster was very happy at G.A. Then things changed. In 1968, G.A. was sold to Gulf Oil, then one of the largest companies in the world. The new management focused on manufacturing large nuclear reactors, and lost interest in smaller research projects. For advice, Beyster turned to his friend Myron Eichen, who had left G.A. in 1960 to form Sharp Laboratories (and at that point had also founded several other successful companies). Eichen recalls Beyster asking if he "had what it took" to start and build a company.

"I told him, " says Eichen, "that of all the people I knew at General Atomics, he was the best qualified to do that."

After Beyster left G.A., a rumor began to circulate that he was starting his own company. Bill Scott, currently an SAIC senior scientist and participation advocate for SAIC's Technical Environment Committee, was then a physicist at G.A. Scott received some advice from his boss. "Don't ever join Bob Beyster," Scott was advised. "You'll never get rich working for Bob Beyster. The man is just not interested in making money."

In a sense, this was true. Beyster was not interested in attracting those looking to "get rich quick." As the company was first set up, it was decided that the employees would own it, and that the ownership would be based on a person's contribution to the company. As Beyster began interviewing applicants, he made a point of explaining this unique ownership arrangement.

"I would say, 'This company is not for everybody. We're going to try to share the rewards in an equitable manner,' " says Beyster. "Working here would probably be more financially rewarding than working for a large aerospace company. It might not be as good as if you started your own company and were tremendously successful."

During SAIC's first year, Beyster and Myron Eichen spent many hours discussing the problems that arise in the early stages of companies. "Bob had to be the fastest learner of anyone I've ever known," recalls Eichen. "In effect, Bob wanted to have the benefit of my experience. But Bob took that information and formulated his own way of doing things, which was quite different and quite independent of anything I've done or experienced."

Close to the end of SAIC's first year, Dr. Larry Kull left G.A. to join the company. "G.A. was definitely heading downstream to be a reactor manufacturer," he says. "I didn't have nearly as much confidence in the management that took over after Bob left, as I had had in Bob. And then I was intrigued with the idea of this small company. I was trying to figure out how an experimental physicist could live in a small company. But Bob, through his magic, convinced me that that was no problem at all."

As employees joined SAIC during the first year, the ownership of the company went out in small pieces. Beyster's ownership stake went from 100 percent at the beginning to about 10 percent by the end of the first year.

During its first year, SAIC experienced the financial hardships common to many startups. Beyster had invested nearly everything he owned. Liens were placed on his and other employee's homes to secure loans. The company experienced cash flow problems. "We always paid everyone's salary, although mine was deferred for a few months," says Beyster.

SAIC weathered the storm, and after the first year, had brought in $243,000 in revenues.

"After a year, a surprising thing happened," Beyster recalls. "We made a profit. I knew something must be wrong. We had a rather small board, and one of the board members said, 'You know, Bob, you'd better get some help because you don't know what you're doing.' "

So Beyster consulted with a technical business advisor who recommended that the company obtain $200,000 of venture capital financing. Because of SAIC's success, the outside investors ultimately received $2 million for their $200,000 investment, although most had not contributed to the company's performance in any way.

"I guess a lesson there is if people get ownership, either those within or outside of the company, make sure they earn it," says Beyster.

There was no question that the staff at the company's new Washington, D.C. office had earned their ownership. Bill Layson (senior vice president and chairman of SAIC's Employee Ethics Committee, now retired) opened the Washington office in 1970 under a special agreement with Beyster. If Layson and the Washington staff could develop $1 million worth of revenues within 18 months, they would receive stock and become employee owners. At that time, SAIC itself was 18 months old and approaching its first million in revenues. "In retrospect," says Layson, "it was natural to give us the same goal in the same time period." "But we had a big advantage," he says. "We did not have to rely on just our own talents, we had Bob Beyster behind us." According to Layson, Beyster foresaw the kind of business the office could develop and helped in recruiting and marketing. When the office reached its $1 million goal in 18 months, "we shared the reward (shares of SAIC stock) among the people who had developed the business," says Layson. These included Joe McGahan, John McRary, John Shannon, Matt Tobriner, and others.

At that time, it was a very different environment for contract research than it is today.

"In the early days, there was very little of the competitive environment you see now where there are a lot of things to bid on," says Kull. "In those days people used to say, 'If you see it in the CBD (Commerce Business Daily), its too late -- because by the time you see it there somebody's already had the idea and sold it to the customer. This is just a notice that somebody's writing a proposal and it's going to get funded.' "

To win those early contracts, SAIC scientists wore many hats. They were the marketing people who sold the ideas to the government to win the contracts. They were the scientists and engineers who performed the work. They were the company liaisons that briefed the customers as contracts progressed.

At G.A., says Scott, "I would do the work but never see the customer. I never got to know any of the contract monitors. Somebody else would take my work back to DNA (Defense Nuclear Agency) and brief them. At SAIC, within three months of doing the first little bit of work, I was stepping off airplanes to give briefings."

In the early 1970s, the country was in the midst of a recession. Consequently, a number of large aerospace firms were paring down in size to increase efficiency and profitability. Many of these companies were willing to sacrifice their research entities. SAIC was able to go around and recruit good people and they were happy to join a little startup company.

However, as with many small companies, one of the biggest challenges SAIC faced was establishing credibility with its customers. "The first question people would ask when you walked in their office," recalls Kull, "was 'What's SAI? I've never heard of that.' You would have to go through your story about your little company, what it's doing and how it's coming up. Credibility is very important--you fail a lot of the time. People were more comfortable giving work to bigger companies."

As the number of contracts grew, SAIC's performance spoke for itself. More contracts began coming in and SAIC's revenues went from $243,000 the first year to $1.2 million at the end of the second year. SAIC held a planning meeting to discuss the future.

"Most of the people in the company got together and talked about possibly reaching $10 million in sales," says Kull. "At that time that seemed like a ridiculous figure."

Two years later, at the end of fiscal year 1973, the company achieved $10.3 million in sales. "For the longest time we said 'We want to grow to $10-million and then we'll level off and concentrate on good technical work,' " says Scott. "But before somebody could blink we went flying by that. I don't think I ever really thought through where it would end up."

By its 10th year, SAIC passed the $100-million mark. "We had trouble believing that we had grown a $100-million company," says Kull. "That just seemed like an incredible amount of money."

Growth in one part of the company benefited other parts as well. For example, when Dave Heebner's group won a large program to develop a command, control, and communications system for the navy of an important U.S. ally, the group generated extra profits, which it gave to Bob Beyster. "Beyster used the profits to bring in smart new staff, to strengthen corporate marketing, and to get us into areas of activity that we hadn't been in," says Heebner.

That program also demonstrated the attitudes of SAIC's employee owners. According to Heebner (then a group manager and later an executive vice president and board member), the staff who worked on the program were, "forward looking, very responsive to the customer, and very considerate of the customer's strengths and weaknesses."

During the first few years of rapid growth, SAIC really had no choice but to continue. The company was recruiting some of the most noted experts in their fields, whose work was sought after by government customers. As scientists, they wanted to work on important programs. As owners, they wanted to bring in more and larger contracts. Growth within the company provided advancement opportunity for the ambitious who wanted to rise through the management ranks.

This formula for success at SAIC has remained the same throughout the years. Today, as SAIC exceeds $5.9 billion in annual revenues, Bob Beyster reflects on what has made SAIC a success. "I don't know where we would be without employee ownership," says Beyster. "Maybe we'd be a $50-million company or a $100-million company. But I am convinced that we would not be where we are today."

The employee ownership formula, which has been so vital to SAIC's success, was really something that the company just stumbled onto in its early days. "What we've done is to build a company of entrepreneurs," says Beyster. "Not just one or two at the top. A company in which those who are motivated and capable can organize, manage, and assume the risk of different aspects of the company. In return they receive not only salary, but ownership of the company."

Browse through the years in SAIC's timeline: starting in FY 1970; FY 1971; FY 1972, and more...

Private Info-Tech Company according to Business Week magazine, SAIC's commercial experience ranges from outsourcing solutions for the deregulated U.S. utility market to IT and telecommunications solutions for integrated communications providers.

Biomedical Research

Our scientists assist in important discoveries, developing new cures, and strategic management solutions through Cancer & AIDS Research and BioMedical Information Solutions...

Consulting Services

Our management consultants provide clients with services and tailored solutions to support innovation, mergers and acquisitions, and performance improvement....

Customer Relationship Management

SAIC helps customers implement/integrate CRM technologies to get the most out of every customer touchpoint, including person-to-person contact, the telephone, e-mail, and the Internet...

Data Mining & Data Warehousing

SAIC centralizes critical corporate data and provides portal and web technologies that assist in information analysis and decision support through our solutions in Data Management ...

Distributed Enterprise Management

Whether your organization requires operational expertise for your infrastructure, or an IT partner to handle both transformation and ongoing management, SAIC can help through Consulting, Desktop, Enterprise solutions and more...

eBusiness

SAIC facilitates business across the Internet and provides services for customers ranging from startups to the Global 1000 through our Targeted eBusiness Services and eCommerce Integration Services.

Energy

Whether it's petroleum technology services for exploration and production, application of our environmental expertise, or implementing enterprise IT solutions, SAIC's Oil & Gas and Utilities solutions are the savvy manager's winning asset.

Enterprise Resource Planning

SAIC helps your business processes run smoothly by standardizing and clarifying process flows and streamlining the routing tasks within your organization through our Functional Solutions, Technical Services and PeopleSoft 8 Upgrades.

Environment

We provide new approaches to evolving environmental challenges through Health & Safety Assessment, Site Management and Remediation, Information & Management Solutions and more...

Financial Services

SAIC helps financial services companies manage customer relationships across multiple delivery channels and multiple lines of business through Consulting, Systems Integration, Web Convergence...

Health Care

SAIC helps health care organizations face demands to contain escalating costs while improving the overall quality of patient care through our solutions in HIPAA, Systems Integration Services, Clinical Computing Systems and more...

Imagery

SAIC provides imagery analysis and research solutions that process and interpret aircraft and satellite data for applications ranging from agriculture to utilities. Learn about our Imagery Derived Products and Remote Sensing services and more...

Information Security

Our security experts help safeguard your business-critical information, systems, and Web sites with Information Security Assessments, Firewall Security Services, and Public Key Infrastructure solutions.

Information Technology

SAIC IT experts help enterprises to profitably operate, maintain, and manage widely dispersed assets through Help Desk Services, Network Services, NT/Windows 2000 Planning & Deployment and more...

Knowledge Management

Rapidly distill your firm's key learnings into knowledge assets to meet business goals using SAIC's processes for learning from tasks, knowledge architecture, and targeted technology deployments. Learn Who is Using and Benefiting
>From Knowledge Management and Meet Kent Greenes,
our CKO...

Maritime

For more than 20 years, SAIC has been developing technologies, engineering solutions and providing analytical systems for maritime markets in International Security, Oil & Gas Services and more...

Outsourcing

SAIC helps enterprises worldwide increase efficiency and flexibility, cost-effectively achieve benefits of scale and specialization, and create more efficient communications and computing infrastructure services through a wide array of outsourcing capabilities including Application Outsourcing and Infrastructure Outsourcing.

Software Development

Achieve maximum business value by extending and renovating critical systems or customized solutions through our software capabilities including Process Improvement Consulting and Independent Verification and Validation.

Supply Chain Management

SAIC delivers innovative, strategically focused supply chain solutions that target the operational needs of a business community through Strategy & Operations Consulting, Process Optimization, Organizational Transformation and more...

Systems Integration & Program Management

SAIC assesses the needs of the enterprise and works with management to develop an enterprise-wide architecture. Our program management experience results in rapid deployment, simplified access to vital information, smooth integration of new information capabilities with legacy systems.

Telecommunications

SAIC can enhance your enterprise’s efficiency by streamlining security procedures, unifying message retrieval, and converging voice, video and data over a single IP-packet based network through Next Generation Information Networks and RapidApps™/ASP solutions.

Transportation

SAIC's systems and services increase traffic flow and productivity, aid in early detection of malfunctioning equipment, inventory management, operating efficiency, and facility safety through Product-Based Solutions, Wireless Systems, Asset Management Systems and more...

Wireless

SAIC's wireless technologies provide real-time GPS tracking and mapping, mobile virtual office capabilities, wireless networks analysis and planning, integrated communication systems and in-vehicle computing through Broadband Solutions, Mobile Workforce Automation, Telematics Solutions and more...