Blurry Lines 1, was Re: unions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 14 09:44:15 PDT 2002

Carrol Cox wrote:

> "Now such a minimal list of such maximal centrality and importance
>bears a description in ordinary language -- but its proper designation
>requires that evolutionary biologists utter a word rigorously expunged
>from our professional consciousness since day one of our preparatory
>course work: the concept that dare not speak its name -- essence,
>essence, essence (say the word a few times out loud until the fear
>evaporates and the laughter recedes). It's high time that we repressed
>our aversion to this good and honorable word. Theories have essences.
>(So by the way, in a more restrictive and unanced sense, do organisms .
>. . .)"
> Stephen Jay Gould, _The Structure of Evolutionary Theory_, p. 10

Ah, I get it. Jeffrey Immelt = Jeffrey Bezos = Martha Stewart = Jack Welch = Warren Buffett = Carl Icahn = Robert Rubin = a guy who owns 12 McDonald's = the night manager at one of those McDonald's = the chief investment officer of CalPERS = the guy who owns the drycleaners next door = a Russian oligarch = Tony Soprano?

So much simpler that way. Thank god for purity of essence.

Doug