New Model Armey

Nathan@newman.org nathan at newman.org
Wed Aug 14 10:19:42 PDT 2002

Yep-- citing any one race gets you little-- there are plenty of primaries where progressive Dems have won out over DLC types-- see the California Menendez race where a pro-fast track incumbent lost out to a labor-backed insurgent, one of the few incumbents of either party to lose to a challenger. (As opposed to the incumbent-incumbent races we are seeing this year).

-- Nathan

-----Original Message----- From: Peter K. <peterk at enteract.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 10:45 PM Subject: Re: New Model Armey

>Caldwell:
>>Second, we see Democrats attacking Democrats for acting like
>>Democrats. In the Michigan gubernatorial primary, Jennifer Granholm
>>won an overwhelming victory over David Bonior and Jim Blanchard, two
>>giants of Michigan Democratic politics. This shows that the feminist
>>money bundlers at EMILY's List-not the labor unions, which backed
>>Bonior, and not the blacks, who mostly backed Blanchard-form the
>>red-hot burning core of the Democratic constituency. But we knew
>>that.
>
>Some evidence that the situation is more complicated is the recent
>primary where labor-backed Rep. John Dingell beat EMILY's List-backed Rep.
>Lynn Rivers.
>http://www.michigandaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/08/07/3d51488cd17f8
>"While Rivers and Dingell share many core Democratic principles, their
views differ on a couple
>issues, most notably gun control and a woman's right to choose.
>The National Rifle Association endorsed Dingell for the primary, while
Rivers supports stricter