Abstraction & Sophomoric Irony

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 14 13:10:53 PDT 2002

At 12:39 PM -0700 8/14/02, eric dorkin wrote:
>But in this case, the purposes are clear: how do we
>determine what factors matter most when determining
>whether a person is a "capitalist."

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I had practical purposes (analyzing X to do Y, for instance to decide whether or not to work harder organizing small shop-keepers in Japan) in mind, rather than arbitrarily chosen analytical purposes (analyzing X to do nothing in particular, at least in immediate terms). Perhaps, for some sort of political organizing, it may occur to some to wish to know what factors matter most when determining "whether a person is a 'capitalist,'" but I don't know what sort. For what practical purpose would you want to know that (not a rhetorical question)? -- Yoshie