Concord Coalition?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Aug 14 23:11:48 PDT 2002

Thanks, Richard. I just found something on LBO from Max from a long while back. (Max Sawicky's EPI report "Up From Deficit Reduction" - resource).

Max says:

the Concord Coalition is obsessed with national saving. They do not oppose tax increases to finance new spending, as long as deficits go down or surpluses go up. They're not particularly gung ho about SS privatization for the same reason: their precious budget surpluses might be used up to finance a transition.

Concord is supported by elite financial interests. Unlike many letterhead organizations, they have an actual membership -- mostly upscale retired folks, typically involved for idealistic reasons (e.g., don't saddle our kids with debt).

So Kerrey is a stooge. Surprise surprise.

In a Republican controlled congress any "reform" will at best be less than what is needed and at worst erode what we already have. marta

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org