Feldman, Cage, Pugliese

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 08:33:33 PDT 2002

> {imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, mike.}

[I've never met Michael Pugliese, but, damn, he seems to get around. From the Morton Feldman listserv:]

"[John] Cage asked me if he thought the score had been clear enough on this point (the word "fluttertongue" does not appear in the score), and wondered if it was now also necessary to tell players what they should _not_ be doing. (Was Cage's own frequent use of a _non vibrato_ instruction perhaps prescient?)

Regarding the percussion part, Cage said the players could have called Michael Pugliese for advice if they had so much trouble following the instrumentation instructions."

Or they could have googled.

Alec