unions (dh)

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Thu Aug 15 12:15:10 PDT 2002

>When Marxists talk about socializing
>capital, just what is the target (banks? pension funds? MNCs? the
>corner drycleaners?), and what would be done with them? Know the
>enemy and all that.

I think the the idea is to change the relations of production, not just the targets. If capital is to be socialized, a workers' revolution first must seize all means of production from the owners. And this does mean all owners.

But, I wonder if one of the difficulties we've been having in this discussion is the implicit assumption that capitalists are "bad", or "evil", or the "enemy". "Capitalist" is not a moral category, but the economic result of particular relations to production.

Maybe we need to get beyond the fact that some of us have a comfortable arrangement with capital. That is to be expected in arrangements like this, and probably many of us do to varying degrees. That doesn't mean we can't fight for the interests of workers.

-- David