DC Sept 25-29th WB/IMF Actions! QUARANTINE corporate greed!

rickling at softhome.net rickling at softhome.net
Thu Aug 15 13:09:11 PDT 2002

please circulate widely

Call to Action! September 25th - 29th in Washington, DC

STOP Infectious Corporate Greed! CONFRONT Corporate Evil-doers at their CEO Summit! QUARANTINE the World Bank and IMF on Saturday, September 28th

Get Plugged-in at www.globalizethis.com or call 202-452-5912

The International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank and related elites are gathering in Washington, DC from September 25th to the 29th to discuss how to continue the destructive path of corporate globalization. They think that bankers should write the rules of the global economy and put profits ahead of local communities, workers, the environment, human rights, justice and future generations. Right now, their actions in South America threaten to drag the world down in a global depression and cost untold millions their jobs. Obviously, these policies are sick and we plan to protect the rest of the world from them by symbolically quarantining these diseased institutions until they learn basic respect for democracy, justice and the earth.

Join us for 5 days of marches, rallies, creative actions, workshops, trainings and teach-ins with voices of hope and dignity from around the world. Following the lead of the grassroots uprising in Argentina we will share our organizing and strategies for building stronger movements for justice. Come share your vision and help turn this autumn into the corporate fall and eradicate the disease of corporate greed from the globe!

------------------------------- For more details, read on . . .

-------------------------------

Now is the Moment to Voice our Dissent to Profits-over-People!

Over the last three years, hundreds of thousands of North Americans have joined the Global Justice Movement by rallying, marching and engaging in mass non-violent direct action. We've shown our opposition to the globalization of corporate greed, destruction and control. We've shown that a world based on true democracy, dignity, justice and ecological sanity is possible.

WE ARE WINNING! Over the last year, our movement around the world has grown, just as dramatically as the veneer of corporate America has been tarnished. In Barcelona, 300,000 rallied against the economic policies of the European Union. In Argentina, millions have protested the IMF's policies over the last year. In Peru, tens of thousands protested electricity privatization. In Lesotho, thousands protested three World Bank dam projects. Already in Ecuador tens of thousands of people are preparing for mass actions against the next Free Trade Agreement of the Americas meeting set to happen in Quito in October. Meanwhile in the United States, corporate America has exposed its own avarice and corruption by cheating workers and pensioners out of millions.

It's time to show the world that the Global Justice Movement is stronger, smarter and more relevant than ever. With our actions we will reveal that scandals like Enron (one of the World Bank's favorite partners) are just the tip of the iceberg. Unfortunately, it's not just a few bad corporate apples -- it's a rotten tree and we plan to uproot it by building a people's globalization movement to fight for a real democracy, ecological sanity and global justice!

Globalize Justice : Another World Is Possible! . If you think the unchecked power of corporate greed is a threat to democracy, freedom and the future of the planet.... . If you are saddened by polluted land, water, and air... . If you have grown weary of representatives that do not represent and institutions that do not serve people... . If your heart has grown heavy in the face of distinctions based on power over others, sexism, racism, homophobia... . If you are dismayed with participation in a system that brings untold wealth to the doorsteps of a few by stealing bread from the tables of many... . If you are appalled by excuses that place profits before the lives of millions of people living with HIV... . If you know in your heart and mind that a just, sane and nonviolent world is possible, and you want to help create it... COME TO DC!

We demand that the World Bank and International Monetary Fund: . Open all World Bank and IMF meetings to the media and the public. . Cancel all impoverished country debt to the World Bank and IMF, using the institutions' own resources. . End all World Bank and IMF policies that hinder people's access to food, clean water, shelter, health care, education, and right to organize. (Such "structural adjustment" policies include user fees, privatization, and economic austerity programs.) . Stop all World Bank support for socially and environmentally destructive projects such as oil, gas, and mining activities, and all support for projects such as dams that include forced relocation of people. We furthermore demand that the United States government, the largest shareholder and most influential government in the World Bank and IMF, adopt the above demands, and work vigorously to compel the World Bank and IMF to implement them.

Get Involved and Help Build the Movement

Please join us in making this mobilization the most articulate, creative and strategic mobilization yet! Spread the word! Organize teach-ins, buses, media events and solidarity actions. Help raise money to bring people from around the world. Let us know your coming and help us plan the actions and people's assemblies in the streets of DC! We need local organizers and contacts across the continent! Let's turn this unique opportunity of public concern about corporate power into a launching pad for a giant movement against corporate rule!

Schedule of events: Sept 25-29 Convergence of organizers and activists. Trainings, teach-ins, and coordination for the Fall and beyond Sept 25-27 End Corporate Rule Teach-In: Global Struggles Against the IMF & World Bank organized by 50 Years is Enough and others (see www.50years.org) Sept. 25-27 CEO Summit, Ritz Carlton Hotel Sept. 26th Power for the People / Clean Energy Rally (day) Interfaith Vigil (evening) Sept. 27th Anti-Capitalist Convergence Action (see www.abolishthebank.org) Sept. 28th-29th IMF & World Bank Group Annual meetings Sept. 28th Mobilization for Global Justice Rally & March (day)

Quarantine Actions (evening) Sept. 29th Social Forum and People's Assemblies being planned

From Washington to Quito

Join us for Corporate Fall!

www.globalizethis.org 202-452-5912