Abstraction & Sophomoric Irony

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Aug 16 10:57:59 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

>>According to my analysis and definition of class, small shopkeepers are objectively working class.
>
>Even though they have no employer, may be employers themselves, live off the profits of enterprise, and tend to vote for conservative parties?

Not if they live off the profits, no. But the sort of shopkeepers I'm referring to live off the value created by their own work. They may have no employer, but they will often have a landlord and a financial capitalist exploiting their labour.

It all gets back to essence. You seem to be tripping over details, like the legal form of exploitation and lack of freedom.

As for how they vote, that is so obviously irrelevant to their objective class that I need not bother addressing it.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas