"post-leftism"

Brian O. Sheppard x349393 bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Thu Aug 15 22:22:30 PDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 JCWisc at aol.com wrote:

> If the "post-revolutionary anarchist society" wouldn't
> be able to build new computers, then presumably there are a lot of other
> things it couldn't build. Not just garbage trucks, but airplanes, VCRs, CD
> players... What about clocks? Would it be able to build clocks? But then,
> if you're a hunter-gatherer, you probably don't need to know what time it is,
> right?

And dont hunter-gatherers need spears? Isn't that a type of technology? What about protection from the elements? Clothes, shelter, heating. Again, technology rears its ugly head. How will the neo-Luddite primitivists of Chuck's twisted fantasy world take away the technology that, say, treats cancer? I'd like to know, as well.

Technology does not equal exploitation, or unjust hierarchy. The non-sequitir assumption that it does doesn't take into account the fact that technology has often freed people from mind-numbing, dehumanizing, undesirable toil. And has save dpeople from illness. Must even this kind of technology go? How is it exploitative or oppressive?

Brian