unions

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Aug 16 15:48:25 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

>>They've figured it out, its the people who want to be capitalists that are trying to figure it out. Which audience was your book aimed at
>
>Anyone who can read at the 12th grade level or better.
>
>> and how much money did you make out of it?
>
>That's a pretty fucking charming question.

Oops, that's right, you yanks don't like that question. I'll try to be more culturally sensitive.

>> >Really? By buying already-existing shares of stock? Do tell how.
>>
>>I should have thought this was elementary.
>
>Indulge me. I'm thick.

OK, I'll do that. I'm thick too, so I feel a bond developing.

>> They contribute capital to the capital-labour relationship by requiring their wage slaves to work in the factories (or whatever) the corporation owns. Whether a capitalist buys already existing stock, or floats new stock, really makes absolutely no difference. Why do you imagine it would?
>
>It makes no difference whether one buys a share of stock 1) in an IPO that goes to a venture capitalist to cash out of his/her original investment, 2) in an IPO that goes to the company to buy equipment and hire noew staff, 3) from a retiree who uses the proceeds to pay for basic living expenses, 4) from a retiree who uses it to buy an SUV, 5) from a worker who uses the money to pay the kid's college tuition, 6) from a mutual fund manager who uses it to buy stock in another company (after shaving off 1% as a management fee)?

It makes no difference to the capital/labour relationship, no. I repeat, why do you think it would?

>>Most small businesspeople are objectively working class for a start.
>
>Maybe in Australia they are, but here in the USA they can be dreadful reactionaries.

They are dreadful reactionaries here too. I said they were *objectively* working class.

>That's the beauty of essences - you don't have to trouble yourself with details.

Yep, great isn't it. Though the other advantage of dealing with essences is it helps you to think about them. Clears away the wood so you can see the trees, so to speak. Putting together a huge collection of details has the advantage of sparing the author from the need to think, but it is still a lot of work to do.

I may be stupid, but can still work out that using your brain to think is better than collecting dead wood details.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas