"Anarchy Reigns in Social Production" re: unions

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Thu Aug 15 23:20:38 PDT 2002

Brian O. Sheppard x349393 writes:

> I did answer it.

Several times, in a very multifaceted way, but never with a yes or no:

&
&
&
> My preference is that I would like to see airplanes, restaraunts,
> rock n roll, etc., in any future society, if they can be brought about
> sans coercion. That's my personal preference. And I would voice
> this individual personal preference in the collective decision
> making processes that regarded various aspects of these things. I
> could very well lose out and be out-voted, but who would I be to force
> my own desires on others?

Unknown, though it's possible, however it can't be determined here, but you would hope that planes won't be chucked.

Gordon Fitch writes:

> I don't understand, myself, how such a question is supposed
> to be answered.

If anarcho-syndicalism is compatible with an advanced society, the questoin should be redundant.

> Is there an implication here that coercion is necessary to
> accomplish projects over a certain size? If so, can it be
> made more explicit?

I think the implication is that anarchism has a tremendous difficulty responding to the complexities of the existing social order. The mere possibility of workers' councils (or whatever form and name they take) voting away a major portion of society's transportation infrastructure is too absurd to digest, and is fairly off-track as far as expropriating the expropriators is concerned.

-- Shane